Answering which rhinoplasty technique better turns out to be a bit complicated since each type of procedure includes changes in the area that depend exclusively on the appearance of the patient’s nose. Now, in my case, as an expert plastic surgeon in nose surgery, I must notify you that, of the two aesthetic interventions, the only one that I perform on my patients is an open rhinoplasty. In the following paragraphs of this publication, I will tell you why I am inclined towards a single aesthetic method, which is why, as a specialist, I can say that it is the best option.
Beyond raising the topic of open or closed rhinoplasty and specifying which one is better, I want to describe several important points about both nose surgeries.
Open Rhinoplasty: Why Choose It?
Open rhinoplasty is a plastic surgery where I focus on improving the structure of the nose in order to highlight those features that will give harmony to your face. Now the reason why I, as a plastic surgeon, prefer this type of surgery is because by having a complete view of the inside of the nose, I can better work on the septum, the width of the nostrils, the tip of the nose. and its functionality, that is, breathing, making the results more predictable.
Open Rhinoplasty Procedure
After completing all the pre-operative steps for open rhinoplasty, including assessment, lab tests, and planning for plastic surgery using in-office photos, we are ready to begin open rhinoplasty. Remember to comply with all my medical indications, especially the night before surgery.
Postoperative Open Rhinoplasty
After open rhinoplasty, which lasts from one to two hours, depending on the changes or improvements to be made, you must comply with specific medical regulations so that your recovery is positive and the results satisfactory. After leaving the hospital medical center, you must:
- Keep the caps and bandages until I remove them on day two of recovery.
- Then I’ll leave you a specialized tape that you must keep until the 15th.
- Sleeping with your head slightly elevated. You cannot sleep on your stomach.
- Avoid lowering your head or making sudden movements that may affect your recovery.
- Walk little by little.
- Do not expose yourself to the sun.
- Take medications to the letter that will prevent you from feeling pain and reduce inflammation.
You will notice bruises around the eyes and on the nose; it is normal. By the 10th day of recovery, they will be gone. If you follow all my medical indications after rhinoplasty, your recovery will be positive and with very good results.
Open Rhinoplasty vs. Closed Rhinoplasty
The confusion about both types of rhinoplasty lies in the changes that as plastic surgeons, we can make and above all because of the scar that patients fear so much.
- Open rhinoplasty allows me to have a complete and detailed view of the inside of the nose, whereas, with closed rhinoplasty, there is a limited operative field, so the internal structures of the nose cannot be managed well.
- With open rhinoplasty, I can make all the necessary improvements inside the nose so that the result is more harmonious and proportional, with respect to the rest of the features of your face. On the other hand, with closed rhinoplasty, I cannot make all the changes that the patient needs because sometimes the space of the nostrils is not enough to address the deep structures of the nose.
- The tip of the nose is much better with the open rhinoplasty procedure; the result of closed rhinoplasty is not entirely good. The tip may be slightly crooked.